Re: ppc

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:28:01 +0300
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/13/12 8:23 PM, ∅ wrote:
> > great news! i may have a new g4 machine to do testing on. i really need someone to help me with doing it all by usb. that would make it possible for me to do this easily on more than one machine. i can't seem to find anything that isn't as old as hardy and i'm not sure it's relevant. but i need help starting with preparing the drive. anyone?

> What worked for me for a while was to copy over the iso image using dd.
> To boot from usb hold down cmd+opt+o+f while the machine powers on.
> Then at the openfirmware prompt enter
> 	boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot
> Sometimes it was usb1 other times usb0

yeah i tried this, though i grabbed the iso and did the dd on an intel machine. not sure if that makes any difference. considering dd functions bit by bit, it shouldn't, but maybe someone else has some insight.

when i try usb0, i get couldn't locate partition.
when i try usb1, i get can't open with no other explanation.

looking at dev / ls it seems there is a /usb@1b,1/disk@1 and no usb0 from what i can see.

as for version:
0 > dev /openprom
0 > .properties
name                    openprom
device_type             BootROM
model                   OpenFirmware 3

and the banner gives me Apple PowerBook5,4 4.8.6f0 BootROM.

wxl