Re: Opinion Please

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> If removing 'spalsh' seems the better option, it can be added to the test
> case and Release Notes.
>
> Can you quickly furnish me the step my step instructions? I have been
given
> permission to edit the 'live' test case & short cut it through checking
> which would mean it can be on there within an hour or so of my receiving
the
> instructions from you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
>

> On 26 September 2012 20:32, Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hiyas,
>>
>> you read my mind. I've had a crazy busy day - I just want to bounce a
>> couple of ideas off nicholas as the best way forward.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phill.
>>

>> On 26 September 2012 20:17, Greg Faith <gregfaith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I have to change the kernel mode to nomodeset or delete splash from
>>> the boot line, should I fail the Live Desktop session even though I
>>> know the workaround and list it in the testcase?
>>>
>>> I know it is my responsibility to determine if I should are not just
>>> wondering what you guys think.
>>>
>>> We all know that nVidia graphics are having this issue with the live
>>> CD/USB but we also know nomodeset or better yet removing "splash" from
>>> the boot line allows a Clean live session.
>>>
>>> What do you think??
>>>
>>> Greg nm_geo
>>

>> --
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw
>

> --
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw

First off Phil this only applies to users who have nVidia graphic issues
with the Desktops and it does affect Ubuntu & Lubuntu for sure.

If I try to boot up a live USB on my Lenovo (nVidia) graphics. It ends in a
white&black art deco screen and freezes.

Now, I tried to set nomodeset and it works and I can run it and make
installs but with very low resolution graphics.

Then I ran across mc4man in the +1 forum and his suggestion was  just
remove the "splash" or remove "quiet & splash" from the kernel line.

Different flavors will have slightly different ways to get to the kernel
line and I am not really familiar with Ubuntu Desktop CD.

Okay: I wish I was at my Linux boxes but alas I am working. yuck..

"Delete splash method"
Insert and boot USB
Choose language.
Next screen hit (F6) hit esc
then space back with arrow key and delete splash
hit return/enter
Bypasses Plymouth
scrolling text just wait (read the lines if you like)
eventually you will get to Live Session & good graphic resolution
Proceed to install and all will go well.

"Set nomodeset method"
Insert and boot USB
Choose language
Next screen hit (F6) tick nomodeset hit esc
Hit return/enter
Low Graphic Plymouth
eventually you get Live Session with Low graphic
Proceed to install and again all goes well.

I would say with the Ubuntu flavor Live Desktop the low resolution and
graphics would be harder to deal with than the Lubuntu Desktop. Please
remember this is only needed for nVidia graphic boxes.  I have a little
Samsung and a Dell that I just boot the USB and away we go, but they both
have Intel graphics.

Hope this helps. If not I will try to do more latter.. hmmm.. I have lots
of testing to do tonight amd64 and i386 Lubuntu stuff..

Out,
Greg nm_geo