Re: Fwd: lubuntu powerpc desktop 20120928 SUCCESS

I'd be inclined to agree with Lars if we weren't dealing with Apple PPC's. Seems to me that post 1995, the company never made the same computer twice. At one point years ago, I had a basement full of them.  Difficult under such circumstances to be all things to all people, especially given that the technology has changed bigtime.

Having said that, I am one of those people that Lars is talking about. If it doesn't work first time out of the box, I have in past discarded the distro and moved on to something that did work first time out of the box. That's probably not the right thing to do, but that's what I've done. Over the years however, I've met Linux Newbies who were quite prepared to tweak all night and enjoy the satisfaction of getting a system up and running. There's still lots of them around, and these are the people that really appreciate Linux. Alas, my patience with that sort of thing is not what it used to be.

Nevertheless. It seems a shame to freeze 12.10 PPC for a problem that has been going on for years, and is generated by forces outside our control. The PPC FAQS do have help that works. Maybe we should just leave it at that and let the beast proceed.

Now I shall duck the incoming rotten tomatoes that Lars will no doubt want to throw my way.

Ron Mitchell