Re: Saucy Alpha Alternate PPC

Hi Lars,

See in line.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Lars Nooden <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2013, Str8bs wrote:
>> If you have the time to devote, you may want to remove quiet splash
>> from the append in yaboot and add
>> "drm.debug=0x4 log_buf_len=16M" so as not to have to type those every
>> reboot.
>
> I'm not sure how that is done.

Those are just more kernel parameters you can either type after
Linux/Live or add to the append line in yaboot.conf.
drm.debug=0x4 turns on more verbose logging
log_bug_len=16M increases the size of the log before it starts
overwriting the beginning.

>> On the ones we can get to a shell, save a copy of dmesg. On
>> the ones that x starts, whether viewable or not, drop to a shell and
>> save Xorg.0.log as well. Idea being to clearly make a case to the devs
>> once we find it and the logs to demonstrate.
>
> I'll send the Xorg.0.log and dmesg separately, offlist.
>
>> See in line.
> [snip]
>
>> Sounds like x is starting using FBDEV even though Radeon KMS is present.
>> Could you ctl-alt-f1 to shell? If so, output of cat /proc/fb ?
>
> $ cat /proc/fb
> 0 ATI Radeon 4c66

It looks like Radeon KMS is actually off for some reason. I'll
research and see if/why that is so.

>> If you add video=radeonfb:yada to pinkelephant, is desktop viewable?
>
> Yes, if I boot with the following, I get working X and can log in
> graphically and use Lubuntu.
>
>         Linux snd-powermac.pinkelephant=yes video=radeonfb:1280x854-30@60
>
>> > 3. Linux single nomodeset also ends with a recursive fault.
>> Could you repeat and rule out framebuffer?
>> Linux single nomodeset video=offb:off
>> Linux single nomodeset video=radeonfb:off
>
> Both lead to the recursive fault error.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars
So far we know at least for you two guys with Radeon,
1. snd-powermac.nonsense=yes works around the recursive fault error.
2. disabling both offb and radeonfb works around the recursive fault
error (but not usable for X currently)
3. Live and Alternate installs are the same.

Should we request others confirm in the bug report? The wiki's seem to
prefer one bug per hardware set per person. It might help to open a
new bug.You would know better than I on that.
I would stick with Linux single for now since we know it happens with
server too and leave X/desktop out of it.

Regards,
Str8