Re: Need for USB stick access for ISO testing?

On 06/01/2013 05:01 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> guest-fish is an additional extra to virt-manager, I have it
> scheduled up as a 2nd classroom session. It is up to you as to if you
> cover the additional pack for VBox. I think it is also included to be
> able to do basic usage such as printing to a usb printer. It's your
> session, do as you think is best!

Well, only as long as what I teach meets the needs of people trying to
perform the test cases!  Is there a "configure and test a USB-connected
printer" test case?

For real (non-ISO testing) use, I print from a (bridged) VM by using
network printing and sharing the real printer in cpus on the host PC.
Works fine when you have several VMs running at once, too.  Much easier
than making the printer unavailable to the host PC so you can connect it
to just one VM... ugh, that's inconvenient.  Printing is a service, it
needs to "just work", for all client devices and VMs.

Also, in reality, I don't buy USB printers for my own use, I get
networkable ones, so they can be printed to from all the devices on the
network (VM's included).  Primary printer here is currently a cheap
Brother HL-2170W laser.  It has a USB connector, but we always use it
over the LAN.

I don't physically have a printer in my home office, or my work
office... at work I can print on a couple of big copiers and a color
laser printer, all shared over the network.  There are plenty of sub
US$100 networkable printers around now.  Doesn't everyone handle
printing that way these days? :)

Jonathan