Re: Need for USB stick access for ISO testing?

On 06/01/2013 10:42 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1303/info
>
> include persistence. How do you test that without a writable drive?
>
> Normally I use USB drives, but in VirtualBox I use a virtual disk, a
> second and smaller one, if I want to install too, not only test persistence.
>
> "...
> Create a partition (on a usb stick or regular disk/image) to be used for
> persistence

Well, so I think technically you *can* run this test case in a VM, as
you suggest, by creating a little additional virtual hard disk device
for it.  But since in practice 99% or more of all use of "persistence"
is likely to be with USB sticks, it would probably be smarter to just
give in and run this testcase on a real physical machine, I think.

Especially as Step 8 says "You may now restart your computer with this
USB thumb drive inserted to boot Ubuntu" which seems to imply you *have*
to use a USB thumb drive...

Jonathan