Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/02/2013 12:54 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is just a suggestion so don't shoot the messenger :)
>
> I'm aware that Lubuntu has already so many ISOs, more than any other
> Ubuntu Flavor: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/Why_So_Many_ISOs
>
> I understand what I'm suggesting here can be easily
> done: http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/03/mini-lubuntu-mlubuntu.html
> <http://amjjawad.blogspot.ae/2013/03/mini-lubuntu-mlubuntu.html>
>
> For the minimal desktop installation use:
>
> sudo -i
> apt-get install --no-install-recommends lubuntu-desktop
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> apt-get autoclean
> rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
> reboot
>
> However, what I'm suggesting here is:
> To have that option ready for those who seek such setup.
>
> I have sent about this in 30-March-2013 but someone was mad because
> the timing was bad :D
> Now, since we are still at the Alpha1 stage, I hope my suggestion
> comes in a good time :)
>
> HOW HARD is it to have this as a new ISO where someone can download
> and install?
> MUCH less stuff to look after and much less ISO Size, etc.
>
> My suggestion is inspired from: "Simplicity is the ultimate
> sophistication"
>
> I know that Lance loves this setup. I would love to have it too. I
> know for sure that both myself and Lance are very much capable of
> doing that ourselves and we do not need a new
> ISO/Spin/Version/Whatever you call it for that. But, I always keep
> other beginners users in mind who may find this a bit hard to achieve
> manually and they do need that badly for their very old machine.
>
> We also can remove the Artwork Stuff and go very, really very basic.
> This version will be much lighter than the standard Lubuntu.
>
> No, not yet. I have not done it yet. I will if some people are
> interested in this idea. I mean, I can install the Ubuntu Mini and
> then install Lubuntu Core or Minimum Desktop.
>
> Oh, I forgot, I actually done it already
> before: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614&page=16&p=11832431#post11832431
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> *Best Regards,*
> *amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
> *Start Ubuntu
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>*
>
> /Test Machine: ASUS F3F Laptop - //Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz with
> 489MB RAM/

Phil has already reflected a bit on this, and I largely share his
sentiments. I added Julien to the conversation in case he cares to add
any feedback ...... I hope he doesn't shoot me.

Purely from an iso/upgrade testers perspective I'd hate to see us add
anymore images because the workload is quite daunting already. I rather
imagine it's a nightmare on the dev/maintenance end also.

I plan to shift a greater amount of my focus to upgrade testing both via
'release-upgrader' and via 'live-iso'. Upgrade tests can be quite time
consuming (particularly if bugs are encountered making retesting
necessary) because they require the installation, updating, and
modifying of the prior release.

Due to the daunting workload I've even hoped that wireless support in
the netboot images will soon improve to the point we can drop the
alternate images altogether, but I'm unsure where we're at in that
regard and I have no wireless with which to test.

But, back to the 'lubuntu-core' vs 'lubuntu-desktop' issue, I'd prefer
that we take an approach similar to that of Edubuntu where they offer
additional installation options on the live images. After the "preparing
to install" screen they have two additional screens pop up (see attached
images).

In our case I'd think we'd only need one additional screen where a
person could choose either a "core" install or a "full" install. But
given the limited number of developers dedicated to Lubuntu I suspect
we'd need a volunteer from the installer team to devote a great number
of hours (probably weeks) of dev work.

Lance