Re: [LTS] I'm very confused

See inline comment ...

On 2013-06-08 15:38, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hello Phill and everyone else,
>

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     if any packages do not receive updates (i.e. Support), it is
>     mis-leading to call it Long Term Support.
>

> +1
> Totally agree!
>

>     10.04 is there PRECISELY because of the dropping of Chip-Sets after it.
>

> +1
> I'm fully aware of that :)
>

>     It does not receive updates to desktop applications, I'm not 100% on
>     kernels, as they are part of server - which is still supported).
>     People using the browser have to make their own arrangements for
>     getting updates.
>

> Assuming Kernel Updates and Important Security Updates will still be
> received normally.
> Previously on another thread/email, one of the team said that "any
> package/app even an image viewer could be risky and affect the system
> security as a whole". I can't tell how that statement is correct and not
> sure how to verify that?

See the report about this new bug (found after I wrote that answer to you)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2013-May/002118.html

LibTIFF could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it
opened a specially crafted file.

Software Description:
- tiff: Tag Image File Format (TIFF) library

Details:

Emmanuel Bouillon discovered that LibTIFF incorrectly handled certain
malformed images when using the tiff2pdf tool. If a user or automated
system were tricked into opening a specially crafted TIFF image, a
remote attacker could crash the application, leading to a denial of
service, or possibly execute arbitrary code with user privileges."