Re: [LTS] I'm very confused

Hello Phill and everyone else,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if any packages do not receive updates (i.e. Support), it is mis-leading
> to call it Long Term Support.

+1
Totally agree!

> 10.04 is there PRECISELY because of the dropping of Chip-Sets after it.

+1
I'm fully aware of that :)

> It does not receive updates to desktop applications, I'm not 100% on
> kernels, as they are part of server - which is still supported). People
> using the browser have to make their own arrangements for getting updates.

Assuming Kernel Updates and Important Security Updates will still be
received normally.
Previously on another thread/email, one of the team said that "any
package/app even an image viewer could be risky and affect the system
security as a whole". I can't tell how that statement is correct and not
sure how to verify that?

I do have Lubuntu 10.04 installed on my test machine and if there is
anything I can run or check to help in this matter so that we WRAP UP and
END this discussion about Lubuntu 10.04, I'm more than ready and glad to do
:) just name it :)

> The list of when things go EoL can be found at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases As the support time from 13.04 onwards
> for desktop systems is now only 9 months, 12.10  will actually be supported
> after 13.04 goes EoL (This is due to the change in support times for
> desktops).
>

> Regards,
>
> Phill.

I'm aware of that link but it does not say when Lubuntu 12.04 will reach
EOL :D
Lubuntu 12.04, because as we call it, not an LTS release, some packages
will reach EOL in October, 2013 if my math is correct. That is 18 months.
While the core system will be supported for 5 years (April, 2017).

YES, Lubuntu 12.10 will reach EOL in April, 2014 while Lubuntu 13.04 will
reach EOL in January, 2014 which is funny but I'm also aware why is that.

--
*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*

*Test Machine: ASUS F3F Laptop - **Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz with