Re: About 'gnome-disk-utility' as a default app

On 2013-06-18 09:18, Erick Brunzell wrote:
> I've always wondered why we, or any OS, would include a potentially
> dangerous app in the "Accessories" column of a menu. IMHO Red Hats
> 'gnome-disk-utility' only adds risk so why do we even include it as a
> default app?
>
> In many ways it's comparable to Gparted which Ubuntu long ago decided to
> provide only on the live image so it would be available for installation
> purposes. BTW I think Gparted is much easier for even a noob to use.
>
> So I just wanted us to think about possibly dropping
> 'gnome-disk-utility' from "depends" and/or "recommends". It's not an
> earthshaking thing .............. just a thought.
>
> Lance

IIRC 'gnome-disk-utility' alias palimpsest.

It would not make a big difference for me, because I hardly use it, but
at the Ubuntu Forums I notice that people are using it for various
tasks. I would not consider it dangerous, but on the other hand, I keep
backups ;-)

What feature is it, that you consider potentially dangerous? And would
you prefer to have it in another submenu (for example System Tools)? Or
would you like to use the disk space for a more useful tool?