Re: About 'gnome-disk-utility' as a default app

On 06/18/2013 05:26 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> On 2013-06-18 09:18, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>> I've always wondered why we, or any OS, would include a potentially
>> dangerous app in the "Accessories" column of a menu. IMHO Red Hats
>> 'gnome-disk-utility' only adds risk so why do we even include it as a
>> default app?
>>
>> In many ways it's comparable to Gparted which Ubuntu long ago decided to
>> provide only on the live image so it would be available for installation
>> purposes. BTW I think Gparted is much easier for even a noob to use.
>>
>> So I just wanted us to think about possibly dropping
>> 'gnome-disk-utility' from "depends" and/or "recommends". It's not an
>> earthshaking thing .............. just a thought.
>>
>> Lance
>>
> IIRC 'gnome-disk-utility' alias palimpsest.
>
> It would not make a big difference for me, because I hardly use it, but
> at the Ubuntu Forums I notice that people are using it for various
> tasks. I would not consider it dangerous, but on the other hand, I keep
> backups ;-)
>
> What feature is it, that you consider potentially dangerous? And would
> you prefer to have it in another submenu (for example System Tools)? Or
> would you like to use the disk space for a more useful tool?
>
> Best regards
> Nio

IMHO any app that allows repartitioning and/or formatting of a disc or
partition is a bit risky for the average end user. I maintain a few
dozen PC's for mostly elderly pensioners and I always remove it
post-installation just to be on the safe side.

I do think if we keep it as a default app that it would be better to
have it in System Tools.

Lance