Re: About 'gnome-disk-utility' as a default app

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013, at 08:36 AM, Erick Brunzell wrote:
> On 06/18/2013 05:26 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> On 2013-06-18 09:18, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>>> I've always wondered why we, or any OS, would include a potentially
>>> dangerous app in the "Accessories" column of a menu. ...

>> What feature is it, that you consider potentially dangerous?

> IMHO any app that allows repartitioning and/or formatting of a disc or
> partition is a bit risky for the average end user.

Wait.. Average end users are not logging in as root.  Or running sudo
all the time. So how exactly is this a risk?  Any time a user uses
sudo is "a bit risky for the average end user"!  If you do not want
them to do that, don't give them an account with sudo privileges.
Problem solved :)

> I do think if we keep it as a default app that it would be better to
> have it in System Tools.

I tend to agree.  But that's a matter of how the packager of it labels
it in their .desktop file, I think.  So it's not something Lubuntu is
likely to change, you would need to persuade the packagers of
gnome-disk-
utility about this.

Jonathan
--