Re: RAM needed for desktop installer reduced to half by zRAM

Nio,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> By the way, I edited the page about mini.iso
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
>
> to indicate that it can be used from USB now (which is good for
> netbook users and for people with bad CD/DVD drives).
>
> And I noticed that the network installation by the mini iso is not
> portable like the one by the desktop iso.

Do you mean it set up a static IP address for the Lubuntu machine,
instead of using DHCP?  Or something else?  What is a "portable" network
installation?  My VM install on a desktop host isn't "portable" (well,
except by copying the .vdi file and xml file defining the VM, I
suppose!).

> A. If we plan to write '(3) 128MB to 256MB: Use the netboot mini.iso
>    ...' in the official document, someone must volunteer to test the
>    RAM limits with the mini.iso for Lubuntu Saucy.

Yes.  Simple on a VM, awkward on real hardware because it will be
very slow :)

> Or maybe that should belong to item 2, the advanced stuff. To be
> honest, Knoppix or Puppy are better alternatives than Lubuntu for
> such low RAM. I have hands on experience from an old Compaq with
> 192 MB RAM.

They may be, but we are Lubuntu... recommending other distros is outside
our scope :)

> B. What about zRAM for the alternate iso? Please state your opinion!

I'd like to see it tested.  Phill and I poked Julien about this recently
-- if it is easy to add, we'll get it added so we can test it.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden
  jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx