Re: The Sensitivity of Touch Pad

Ali,

On 07/04/2013 03:39 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> Yes. As you know, I've been using Lubuntu for years. ...

But then you say:

> I can't remember when was the last time I've used Ubuntu :D since
> Unity, I'm keeping myself away. So, not 100% sure.

So, that is "yes" followed by "no" for the same question?  I think this
means "No, we can't be sure this is Lubuntu-specific".

> Whatever the issue is, wherever it is, I think this need to be
> changed/adjust/fixed.

Probably -- but knowing whether it is Lubuntu-specific vs all
Ubuntu-flavours will probably change who needs to do the work!

> BY THE WAY, I'm having even harder time when I type, grrrrrrrrrrr, I
> have mentioned that before, I do blind typing. I don't look at the
> Keyboard when I type and I do type so fast. I can NOT do that with
> Lubuntu unless I disable the Touch Pad. Every since word I write,
> because the Touch Pad is very very sensitive, it always give me
> mistakes and typo so this issue slow me down a lot.

Sounds like your hand position is such that your palm(s) often touch the
touchpad unintentionally, while you type.  If you can change the angle
you hold your hands at a little, to avoid that, it could help a lot.

Researching this a bit, I see that there is also something called "palm
detection" in some touchpad drivers which is designed to help with this
exact issue.  I don't know much about it except that it exists, and that
if your touchpad driver supports it, you can probably configure it by
installing the package gpointing-device-settings and running the command

  gpointing-device-settings &

Installing this and its associated library takes relatively little
space, so try it, and see if it helps you.  There is a blog where
someone reports it helped them a lot, at

http://ken-mcconnell.com/2012/07/22/trackpad-sensitivity-in-ubuntu-on-dell-xps-13/

but that is on a specific Dell machine, so I don't know if you will get
similar results on your machines.  I am not sure if the Lubuntu lxinput
utility knows about "palm detection" and how to configure it.  If not,
that might be worth requesting as an enhancement.

Jonathan