Re: Minimum and recommended RAM to install Lubuntu Trusty

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:08:24 +0100
Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2014-03-27 09:39, JM skrev:
> > On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:29:56 +0400
> > Ali Linx <ali.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> That said, as per my +3 years endless tests, the Recommended RAM for
> >> Lubuntu 'must be' IMHO = 512MB
> >>
> >> If you will ever mention 'minimum' then you should mention too that:
> >> "please note that your machine will not work as expected after installing."
> >>
> >> Let's be 'extra' clear when we're dealing with our users if we do care
> >> about them. This is 'very' important IMHO.
> >>
> >> To me, it is totally non-sense to even waste time to test that on less
> >> than 256MB RAM simply because your machine will not handle one open tab
> >> say Facebook or Gmail. As for YouTube, you should mention a huge red
> >> label note that those with less than 512MB should forget YouTube and
> >> watching movies.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I clearly agree with that, which might in some cases not be even enough, as the
> > hardware when old would often need some checks and some care.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mélodie
> >
> Hi everybody,
>

> The text we are discussing is like this now
> -----
> System Requirements
>
> We have done many tests and we've found out that Lubuntu can be
> installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such
> a system would not perform well enough for daily use.
>
> With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system
> will be more usable.
>
> With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

With 512MB RAM it might be enough for daily use however an additional 256MB or more will
always allow to perform better.

If the machine is an old tower and has only an integrated graphics chipset, then adding an
graphic card, PCI for instance, which can be found or bought for a very low cost, will
help improve significantly the use.

> The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on
> selected options.) If you have problems, please use the "Alternate"
> installer.
> -----
> and it is part of the web page
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
>
> which was last edited 2013-11-26 12:48:42 by dale-visser
>

> I think we must change it.
>
> 1. Lubuntu Core Trusty works with 128 MB RAM, but not standard Lubuntu
> Trusty. And Lubuntu Core needs at least 256 MB to work reasonably well,
> but not for browsing bloated web pages. So it is mis-leading to state
> that Lubuntu can be installed with 128 MB of RAM. It might be true for
> some old version, but it is not true for Lubuntu Trusty.

Some if not many users don't know what a bloated web page is. They often believe "they
start internet". ;)

You could say something such as "surfing the web will sometimes be difficult and slow down
the machine."

> 2. With zRAM, the Lubuntu desktop installer does not need more than 384
> MB RAM. Before zRAM was used, it might need 700-800 MB for some
> complicated installations.
>
> 3. Let us consider if we should specify the amount of RAM necessary for
> the alternate installer. I think it is better to specify it.
>
> 4. Let us consider if we should also display the alternatives OBI and 9w
> to install Lubuntu Core, which is lighter than standard Lubuntu.
> Remember that there are many old computers with 256 MB RAM!
>

> Best regards
> Nio

Regards,
Mélodie