Re: Fwd: Re: Alternate testcase changes

Hi Bryan,

I agree, that it would be better if this issue is resolved. The
work-around to swapoff the zRAM is not too difficult, but of course, the
zRAM should be tolerated during the installation.

sudo swapoff -a

See the attached very early suggestion to a testcase for the Lubuntu
desktop installer

Den 2015-03-08 00:44, Bryan See skrev:
> There is an existing problem at the default installer side: some users would get the "Unsafe swap space detected" issue during full disk encryption.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/393418/unsafe-swap-space-detected
>
> Using alternate ISO seems to be a solution to this issue. However, it would be better if this issue is resolved.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1241833
>
> Bryan
>
> 07.03.2015, 22:01, "Nio Wiklund" <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> This link at Arch Linux discusses different aspects of encryption in
>> computers, disk encryption and data encryption (with the special case
>> home encryption).
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_encryption
>>
>> My conclusion after reading that link is that 'Encrypted disk' is better
>> than 'Encrypted home', so we need not push very hard to revive
>> 'Encrypted home'.
>>
>> Please speak up if you do not agree!
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio

Install (entire disk with LVM and encryption) in Lubuntu Desktop i386/amd64
You are currently on: Lubuntu ISO Testing

Link to the download information [modify link for lubuntu desktop i386 and amd64]
Detailed information on the testcase [give it a new number]
Link to bug reporting instructionsHide Testcase
Proceed in your native language if you wish. Instructions will remain in English
Boot up the image
The system boots properly and loads the installer displaying Welcome dialog with language selection and 'Try Lubuntu' and 'Install Lubuntu' lines
Select the the Try Lubuntu line and press the Enter key
Wait until the desktop is displayed.

Start a terminal window and run the following commands

##### start block that is only necessary if you try to install encrypted home #####

Wipe the partition table (at least this dangerous step should be merged into the installer)

Identify the drive, where you intend to install the encrypted Lubuntu system with the command

sudo parted -l

It is often but not always the first hard disk drive /dev/sda

Now wipe the target drive's first megabyte

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=1024 count=1024

or much safer if manually with mkusb

Then write an MSDOS partition table  with gparted

sudo -H gparted

Select the menu option

Device – Create Partition Table (and use the default option 'msdos')
Click on 'Apply' and exit from Gparted.

Continue in the terminal window.

sudo partprobe

If partprobe complains, please reboot the computer! After a reboot check that there is an MSDOS partition table and no partitions. In that case you can skip to here (and start to shut off swap). Else (if partprobe is happy) continue.

##### end block that is only necessary if you try to install encrypted home #####

Shut off the zRAM (can be merged into the installer, and is not dangerous)

swapon -s

You will see zRAM, which will confuse the installer and must be shut off with the following command

sudo swapoff -a

Check that there is no swap now with

swapon -s

Close close the terminal window.

Start the installer (double-click on the 'Install Lubuntu' icon on the desktop)
Wait until the 'Install' screen with Welcome is displayed, select language (again) and press the 'Continue' button
On the screen Preparing to install Lubuntu, note the state of each check mark for the following components
Your system have at least the amount a space indicated
(If on a 'laptop'). Is plugged to a power source
Is connected to the Internet
Check marks represent the state of your system accurately
The 'Installation type' screen is displayed
Note the state of the 'Erase disk and install Lubuntu' radio button
The 'Erase disk and install Lubuntu' radio button is checked
Check 'Encrypt the new Lubuntu Installation for security' and 'Use LVM with the new Lubuntu Installation'
'Encrypt the new Lubuntu Installation for security' and 'Use LVM with the new Lubuntu Installation' is checked
Click on the 'Install now' button
The 'Choose a security key' screen is displayed with the 'Install now' button greyed out
Enter a security key and type a different key into the 'confirm a security key' input box
The installer displays 'Passwords do not match'
Enter a security key and type the same key into the 'confirm a security key' input box
The passwords are accepted and the 'Install Now' button can be clicked
Check 'Overwrite empty disk space' and click the 'Install Now' button
Check the window 'Write the changes to disks?' and click on continue if it is correct.
If there is only one hard disk, skip to step 14 (On the 'Where are you?' screen...). Otherwise, on the 'Installation type' screen verify that the drive selected on the Select drive list corresponds to the drive on the chart (e.g /dev/sda)
Selected drive is displayed on the chart
Verify that the full drive space is allocated
Full drive space is allocated for installation
Click on the Install Now button
The 'Where are you?' screen is displayed
If your system is connected to the network, note the preselected timezone correspond with your timezone and the city indicated in the text box
The timezone and city displayed match your timezone and the main city from your area
Select your timezone, and click on the continue button
The 'Keyboard Layout' screen appears
The proposed keyboard corresponds with your keyboard
Select your keyboard layout and click on continue
The 'Who are you?' screen appears
Input your initial user details and password (Note admin can not be used - it is a dedicated Linux User)
Name, username and password are accepted. Additionally, the continue button is enabled
Notice that you should not select encrypted home (unless it it OK to run without swap).
Click on the continue button
The 'Welcome to Lubuntu ' slide is displayed
The slideshow is entirely in your language
Wait for the installer to finish
An 'Installation Complete' dialog appears
Click the Restart now button
GUI is shut down, a prompt to remove media and press Enter appears
Remove the disc and press enter
The machine is rebooted
Allow the machine to reboot
The system boots properly and loads into Lubuntu
If all actions produce the expected results listed, please submit a 'passed' result.
If an action fails, or produces an unexpected result, please submit a 'failed' result and file a bug. Please be sure to include the bug number when you submit your result.