Re: MariaDB + PBXT

Hi Kristian,

On Apr 6, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Kristian Nielsen wrote:

It resulted in me, and all other captains, getting a HUGE diff in an
e-
mail - SORRY! Mac Mail really struggled, Yikes!

Don't worry. Anyway, I found a setting on Launchpad for limiting diff sizes in emails. I changed it to max 5000 lines (from unlimited). Not 100% sure it was the right place I changed though, Launchpad can be a bit confusing sometimes.

Ah, good to know. I'll give that a try as well.

This branch includes the current MariaDB revision (2689) and the PBXT
storage engine. The only changes are the addition of a storage/pbxt
and a mysql-test/suite/pbxt directory.

PBXT seems to be included in BUILD/compile-pentium64-debug-max, great!

The mysql-test/suite/pbxt directory contains a test suite for PBXT.
The test includes 167 test files. All tests run through without error.
To run the tests use:

./mysql-test-run  --mysqld=--default-storage-engine=pbxt --suite=pbxt

In other words, you have to set the default storage engine to PBXT for
this test to run.

Testsuite did not pass without errors for me in the MariaDB tree. I saw these
failures:

   pbxt.count_distinct2 (glibc detected double free error)
   pbxt.count_distinct3 (mysqld crash)
   pbxt.lowercase_table_grant
   pbxt.lowercase_table_qcache
   pbxt.lowercase_view
   pbxt.pbxt_bugs
   pbxt.udf

The count* tests did not fail everytime I ran the tests. The *lowercase* test failures seems related to case differences. Test pbxt_bugs is missing file suite/pbxt/t/load_unique_error1.inc. The test pbxt.udf complains about missing
udf_example.so (not sure why).

Just let me know if you need more help/information on these failures.

Yes, thanks. I would like to get these fixed.

However, since the PBXT test suite is not run by default, I think we can merge it anyway now, and then work on getting these issues solved afterwards.

OK

I have set up Buildbot to automatically test the MariaDB code, and I need to find a build slave somewhere that could run tests of the PBXT code (feel free to offer to run one if you have a spare machine handy ;-). That would be
helpful in getting a clean PBXT test run (and keeping it clean).

Yes, OK. I think we can work something out.

Please let me know if this is OK for merge.

This is ok to push as it is.

Since you are a member of maria-captains on Launchpad, you can go ahead and push the merge to lp:maria yourself. (But if you prefer, I can also pull from
your tree and push the merge).

OK, I will push it.

[The general policy for pushing to MariaDB is that you can push yourself once you get an 'ok to push' from review. Small fixes to a broken build etc. are sometimes pushed immediately to avoid delaying other work, and then reviewed
after the fact.]

Yup, sounds good.

Do you have a plan for merging in subsequent PBXT changes to MariaDB? (I guess you do, just don't know how it works). Would you be in charge of regular
merging, or should the MariaDB team pull/merge from PBXT?

Plan is to merge regularly and, of course, just before we make a release. However, we have not worked out a schedule yet.

Generally we will make sure all our tests run through with MySQL before we merge into MariaDB.

However, you are free to pull the latest PBXT tree and merge it into MariaDB any time you like. If you make any changes or fixes I would be glad to accept a patch for PBXT.

Our goal is to keep one set of source code for all versions of MySQL supported.

With PBXT both in
MySQL, Drizzle, and MariaDB, the merge effort on your part could be
non-trivial, so feel free to ask for help if needed.

Yes, thanks. I will let you know if we need some help. Currently it is only Vlad and myself working on PBXT.

Again, thanks a lot for your efforts on this!

np :)

Best regards,

Paul

Paul McCullagh