Re: Tungsten Replicator and MariaDB

hi!

>>>>> "Arjen" == Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Arjen> Hi Sergey
Arjen> On 19/06/2009, at 8:12 PM, Sergey Petrunya wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 08:45:08AM -0700, Robert Hodges wrote:
>>> This brings up a question for the Maria dev team-what are your
>>> plans, if
>>> any, for replication support in MariaDB?  In particular, are there
>>> any
>>> plans that would affect binlog formats?
>>
>> So far we don't have any planned or in-development features that
>> would have
>> an effect on replication or binlog format.  MariaDB's replication is
>> expected to be the same as MySQL replication.

Arjen> This is the real world, and pragmatism is expected.
Arjen> Things are broken in the land of MySQL replication, and thus we should
Arjen> fix it.

My view is that we at Monty Program Ab don't currently have plans to
rewrite the MySQL replication.   We do however plan to fix issues and
bugs in the current replication and apply some of the important
patches that are floating around.

Arjen> The fixes are actually available, so why even bother coming up with
Arjen> excuses?

What excuses?

Arjen> Yep it changes/extends the binlog format. Tough! It's an upgrade; just
Arjen> like any other, a newer server should be able to be a slave to an
Arjen> older master.

Yes.

Arjen> But this is important stuff! For instance, adding checksums to the
Arjen> binlog prevents a whole load of trouble. Not having it in there since
Arjen> the start (yes SashaP, I know you're guilty - plus all those who
Arjen> reviewed your code at the time) is a 10 year embarassment. Let's get
Arjen> it right, now, shall we?
Arjen> Thanks

As far as I know, it should be possible to add checksum without
breaking things for old masters/slaves.  Need to verify if this is the
case.

Regards,
Monty