Re: Sphinx Storage engine for MariaDB

Hi!

<cut>

>> Later we can consider if we want to have 'mariadb-min, mariadb and
>> mariadb-max' versions that have different compilation/configure
>> options.

Arjen> I don't think that makes sense. Since in 5.1 they're pluggable, we can
Arjen> later on just build them as a pluggable and people can INSTALL PLUGIN
Arjen> if they need the particular component. No need for different builds,
Arjen> that's just confusing (and a heck of a lot more -unnecessary- work) on
Arjen> the build end.

There is still resons to have different builds:

- It's easier to disable large features, for example geometrical
  objects, replication, mathematical functions by using defines than
  doing plugins.
- From a distribution point of view, it's good to have a smaller
  distribution with only the critically needed plugins.

But I agree, a plugin system where people could easily download
plugins and get them automaticly installed would be preferable for
those cases where it's possible.

Regards,
Monty