Re: Rewrite of the free documentation to make it about MariaDB, not MySQL

Back from vacation, taking another stab at this.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Henrik> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Henrik> While at it, I'd like to review the Readme file of MariaDB.
> Henrik> Could you help me with that (ie extract it from bzr and work
> Henrik> with me to rewrite it - so that I can just participate by
> Henrik> email).
>
> <cut>
>
> Henrik> Thanks. I've attached an edited version here. I've also attached a
> Henrik> diff which should make clear what changes I made. The key changes is
> Henrik> to write about MariaDB more as an independent product, not "a branch
> Henrik> of MySQL", while still being a drop-in replacement. Other than that
> Henrik> added links to MariaDB material and removed links to mysql.com.
>
> Henrik> Monty, could you review.

I implemented all suggestions (easiest way :-), except:

> -A local copy of the MySQL Reference Manual can be found in the Docs
> -directory in GNU Info format.  You can also browse the manual online or
> -download it in any of several formats from
> -http://dev.mysql.com/doc
>
> Keep the above.  The distribution packages should include the MySQL
> manual, so the above is accurate.

I didn't check, but unless something changed I think the MySQL manual
is *not* part of our packages currently?

The reasons we once decided to omit it was that:
 - Most people browse the online docs anyway
 - MySQL manual is not Free so we may just as well learn to live without it
 - You are allowed to distribute the MySQL manual "disseminated
together with the software", which is kind of true for MariaDB, but a
hostile lawyer could argue that MariaDB is not MySQL, so we wouldn't
fullfil that requirement.

Attached is the edited version.

Daniel, can you take ownership of this now. I'll comment by email if
needed. (But don't expect to have anything to add.)

henrik
--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel:   +358-40-5697354