Re: Windows installer MWL#55 finished.

Hello Kazuhisa,

> I BROWSED through it but did not read it carefully line by line before
> reporting bugs. Sorry about that.

Yet, all of your reports were valid .

> By the way, after finished installing 5.2.5 and upgrading the previous
> (5.1.53) service instance, I have 2 service definitions for 5.2.5, one
> that was newly created and the other that was successfully upgraded
> from 5.1.53.
>
> I think this is a human (that is my) error rather than a bug, because
> I checked "Install as service" in the "Defaults settings" dialog
> before the installer starts installing 5.2.5 files and then chose to
> upgrade the existing service in the Upgrade Wizard that was started
> after installation.

If you think  installing instance was a mistake on you part (you only wanted
to upgrade what you have), you can correct that easily. In maintenance mode
install (Add/Remove Programs=>MariaDB5.2=>Change/Uninstall), select "Change"
button. Deselect "Database Instance". Choose "Remove data" afterwards. Now
the mistakenly installed instance is gone.

> My expectation was that the installer and upgrade
> wizard will install a new service instance based on the information
> from the existing service definition.
Hmm, have you see that in any of MySQL installers ;)?

> If I could (mutually) exclusively select between "installing a new
> service" and "upgrading from existing service" in the same dialog, I
> could have avoided this mis-configuration.

I understand, and agree from usability point of view this would be ideal.
Currently, "Database Instance" feature can only create new databases, while
"Upgrade Wizard"  (runs outside of the installer) upgrades existing
instances. Their functionality is non-overlapping.   This allows for
painless (for user) and simple to implement installer rollback in case of
errors. So it will stay this way for the version 1 of the new installer.

One thing that is  possible to do to handle your case, is to deselect
"database instance" by default,  if upgradable services are detected. I'm
not sure this is the best way to handle it , and whether it would confuse
the user thus I'll consult our QA for his opinion.
Philip, what do you think?

Vladislav