Re: Process suggestion for minor issues

Hi Kristian,

On 6/14/2013 5:39 PM, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
Rasmus Johansson <rasmus@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This is a suggestion on how to deal with minor or lower priority bugs
and tasks in JIRA, http://mariadb.org/jira .

Please provide your thoughts. Do you think it's an OK way to deal with
the minors or do you prefer some other way?

The whole Jira thing is a farce. It has been going on for a year or so and it
has ended up exactly as bad as I feared.

It's so broken I don't know where to start. I spent lots of effort early in
MariaDB to get a working release process, now it's totally destroyed, and
every single minor release is taken hostage in an attempt to work around
missing management of developer time. There is 100% focus on completion of
whatever random tasks are in Jira and 0% on ensuring good quality of tasks
actually completed.

I agree that we don't have any quality assurance process. I've been recently trying to gain at least some control over my part, but it's going rather slowly and apparently not very successfully. Whatever suggestions you have in this regard, please let me know, I'll take them into account.

/E

I once read an anecdote from a team at Microsoft (could be anywhere). There
was management like this with lists of tasks/bugs to complete and release
deadlines and such. The logical consequence of course was to "complete" tasks
by pushing empty code - then it was complete, and actually doing the work was
then a new "bug".

MariaDB development is not a sausage factory.

When Jira was initially suggested, my first comment was "we cannot use
that". I won't bother people anymore with my opinions on this, they have not
changed and are unlikely to do so.

Hope this helps,