Re: [Otto Kekäläinen] Fwd: initial feedback on mar iadb

Hello,

2013/8/20 Michael Widenius <monty@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Otto> plugin/handler_socket/libhsclient/auto_addrinfo.hpp: UNKNOWN
> Otto>   [Copyright: 2010 DeNA Co.,Ltd.. All rights reserved]
>
> Otto> => Some files have copyright, but no license info in the header.
>
> This is the original external files we are using.
> handlersocket has the copyright information in the COPYRIGHT.txt file.
>
> We can of course change the files, but it doesn't feel right to change
> the files as this will make it harder for the original owner of the
> code to change the copyright for his code.
>
> Doesn't Debian allow one to refer to a copyright file in the header?

Yes, there is actually no hard requirement anywhere the licensecheck
must find copyright/lisence for everything. Copyright can be also
declared per project/directory with COPYRIGHT/COPYING/LICENSE files.

Licensecheck is only there to facilitate automatic checking and the
future might autogenerate the debian/copyright file contents.
(https://github.com/ottok/pkg-mariadb/blob/master/debian/copyright)

> Otto> mysys/my_create.c: GPL (v2)
> Otto>   [Copyright: 2000, 2001, 2005-2008 MySQL AB, 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc]
>
> Otto> => There should be only one copyright per line (not on same line), e.g.:
> Otto> Copyright (c) 2000, 2001, 2005-2008 MySQL AB
> Otto> Copyright (c) 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>
> This we can fix too.
>
> Otto, can you work with Jani to get all these fixed ?
> Jani, is there any chance you can get this fixed this week?

JanI: all you need to do is review the listing in file:
http://labs.seravo.fi/~otto/mariadb-repo/licensecheck-report.txt

But I don't think this will be of any obstacle to Debian packaging, as
I already did the debian/copyright file manually. But over time you
might want to take this into account upstream (there is no need to get
it fixed this week for my part). Tools like licensecheck and fossology
will work better, and it might help automation somewhere else too.

Thanks!