Re: New MariaDB builds: regular trusty and special kvm-deb-sid-pbuilder-amd and (Re: MariaDB)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Otto Kekäläinen <otto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm having some trouble with the Debian VMs. The installs are failing
>> midway through. Everything appears to be going fine up until the
>> installer just sort of freezes and it never finishes the install. I'm
>> downloading other iso files to see if I can find a set that work.
>

> Hmm.. it seems the current unstable installation image is, well, very unstable.
>
> Try installing using testing installation image from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
>

> and when done run
>
> sudo -s
> sed -i s/testing/unstable/g /etc/apt/sources.list
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> ..and the system has turned into the unstable version.

I was able at last to create a set of unstable sid VMs using a variant
of what you suggested. I had trouble with installing from testing iso
files, similar to the issues I experienced with unstable iso files. So
what I ended up doing was starting with our existing wheezy VMs and
then updating them first to jessie and then to sid. The builders in
Buildbot are called: kvm-deb-sid-amd64 and kvm-deb-sid-i386

I ran into an issue with getting the thrift libs to compile on the
amd64 version, so I know that at least that bit is not right (there
may be other issues). But the VMs are there and in Buildbot which is
better than yesterday when they weren't in there at all. :)

One question: Because these VMs are what they are, should I plan on
refreshing them periodically so that they stay current? If so, how
often should I do it?

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew