Re: New MariaDB builds: regular trusty and special kvm-deb-sid-pbuilder-amd and (Re: MariaDB)

Hello!

Thanks for your help!

..
> I was able at last to create a set of unstable sid VMs using a variant
> of what you suggested. I had trouble with installing from testing iso
> files, similar to the issues I experienced with unstable iso files. So
> what I ended up doing was starting with our existing wheezy VMs and
> then updating them first to jessie and then to sid. The builders in
> Buildbot are called: kvm-deb-sid-amd64 and kvm-deb-sid-i386

Good, now the virtual machines exist...

> I ran into an issue with getting the thrift libs to compile on the
> amd64 version, so I know that at least that bit is not right (there
> may be other issues). But the VMs are there and in Buildbot which is
> better than yesterday when they weren't in there at all. :)

..but it seems you just duplicate the existing model of build bot VMs.
It is of course good to have more VMs that build and test MariaDB bzr
commits, but we need a little bit more here in preparation of the
debian/* merge from Debian back to MariaDB trunk.

Kristian wrote on Feb 4th:
>> And while you are at it, please also consider setting up an instance
>> 'kvm-deb-sid-pbuilder-amd64' that provides a Debian unstable
>
> Daniel, can you prepare new sets of VMs for Ubuntu trusty and Debian sid?
> Then I can try to setup Buildbot to do these builds.

I assumed this meant that Kristian would finish the setup. Kristian,
are you following this?

You you Daniel please check out the thread called "MariaDB" on
maria-developers starting here:
https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg06747.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg06765.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg06767.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg06771.html

I guess the definition of what we want to achieve was vague and the
instructions terse. I'll try to write a more detailed list of commands
and setups that needs to be done, but I unfortunately don't have time
to do that today or tomorrow, so it will be next week.. sorry

> One question: Because these VMs are what they are, should I plan on
> refreshing them periodically so that they stay current? If so, how
> often should I do it?

Install unattended-upgrades and let the package do it's work
automatically. For some installs that do not run automatically you
might want to manually run apt-get upgrade / apt-get dist-upgrade
every few months.

Pbuilder upgrade could be run maybe weekly.

--
Check out our blog at http://seravo.fi/blog
and follow @ottokekalainen