Re: [GSoC] Accepted student ready to work : )

Hi, Pablo!

On May 25, Pablo Estrada wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't think you should introduce artificial limitations that make
> > the recall worse, because they "look realistic".
> >
> > You can do it realistic instead, not look realistic - simply pretend
> > that your code is already running on buildbot and limits the number
> > of tests to run. So, if the test didn't run - you don't have any
> > failure information about it.
> >
> > And then you only need to do what improves recall, nothing else :)
> >
> > (of course, to calculate the recall you need to use all failures,
> > even for tests that you didn't run)
>
> Yes, my code *already works this way*. It doesn't consider failure
> information from tests that were not supposed to run.  The graphs that
> I sent are from scripts that ran like this.

Good. I hoped that'll be the case (but didn't check your scripts on
github yet, sorry).

> Of course, the recall is just the number of spotted failures from the 100%
> of known failures : )
>
> Anyway, with all this, I will get to work on adapting the simulation a
> little bit:
>
>    - Time since last run will also affect the relevancy of a test
>    - I will try to use the list of changed files from commits to make sure
>    new tests start running right away
>
> Any other comments are welcome.

Getting back to your "potential fallacy" at how you start taking tests
into account only when they fail for the first time...

I agree, in real life we cannot do that. Instead we start from a
complete list of tests, that is known in advance. And you don't have it,
unfortunately.

An option would be to create a complete list of all tests that have
ever failed (and perhaps remove tests that were added in some revision
present in the history). And use that as a "starting set" of tests.

Alternatively, we can generate a list of all tests currently present in
the 10.0 tree - everything that you have in the history tables should be
a subset of that.