Re: MariaDB Debian packaging: pending merge to upstream

Hi, Otto!

On Jul 28, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > Here's a review, lots of questions sorry.
> >
> > It might be faster if you ping me on irc and we'll go through my
> > questions, instead of doing it by email.
>
> I think I'll pull back the merge request, fix most of the issues into
> my own Debian git repo, and then send back a new bzr pull request.
> Eventually. It will take weeks, so I just wanted to notify you that
> this will be the status until then.

Just something to clarify - I understand that MySQL maintainers in
Debian try to limit their changes to debian/ directory. I would probably
do the same, were I a maintainer. But as a vendor I don't do that - on
the opposite, I prefer to fix issues in the code, not work around them
in packaging (e.g. by lintian overrides or patches).

You'll see that some of my review comments mean exactly that, they don't
say that the packaging is wrong, they say that the workaround should be
removed and the real issue should be fixed in the code (or
CMakeLists.txt, whatever) instead.