Re: Full text search in MariaDB

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Monty
>
> Real world feedback: almost all clients we have that use FULLTEXT need to
> not use it, because
>  - they need the tables to be InnoDB for transactional/consistency reasons;
> since Aria is not transactional it's not an option.
>  - FULLTEXT performance both for inserts and selects on larger datasets
> makes it unsuitable.

Agreed.

I ripped virtually all of the MyISAM fulltext out at Craigslist and replaced
it with Sphinx.  Soon I hope to finish the job for the one corner where we
have a little of it left.

Bascially, I see it as choosing the best tool for the job: InnoDB for
reliable data storage, Sphinx for full-text indexing.

Jeremy