Re: testing Galera

Hi everybody,

I installed Galera on 2 servers, imported a database dump (took almost 2
days to import a 100GB gzipped sql-dump ...) and set up one of the two
servers as a replication slave of our main database.

Now as I try to understand all the new variables and want to get an idea
of do's and dont's some questions pop up:

While the traditional replication slave on the first galera-server is
still catching up (still 200000 seconds behind...) I had our main
data-proxy starting to write to that server.
Most of the data coming into our databases is not going its way trough
the replication but via our self-written proxy application. This
application connects to all databases, sets SQL_LOG_BIN=0 and then
starts updating just a few tables (up to 15-20GB of pure sql statements
per hour depending on the time of the day). This works fine, the server
was processing the statements no slower than the other non-galera servers.

I couldn't see the updates on the second galera-server and figured that
was because of the SQL_LOG_BIN=0. Now things got complicated. How to
resolve this? I gave it a try, hacked the proxy not to set SQL_LOG_BIN=0
for that specific server and started it again, but this made the second
server crash almost immidiatly with HA_ERR_KEY_NOT_FOUND - actually  I
was expecting something like that to happen as the tables were out of
sync now.

Is there something like slave_skip_counter, aka "I Know what I do, skip
that update"? I think I have to take a new snapshot to get the second
node up and consistent again. It tried to to that automatically but
stopped because of the hanging rsync-daemon problem. I'll let it catch
up with the replication lag first and then start that again...

If I take a node down or just restart mariadb after changing variables,
it pulls the changes it missed (IST) from another server, right? These
are saved in the galera-cache on all servers? How do I figure out what a
reasonable size for the gcache would be for me? The default size of
128MB is way to small for me if I want to take a node down for a few
hours to do backups/upgrades/whatever, but do I need 5, 10 or 50 GBs?
Some information on number of bytes written to the gcache I could look
at? Or is "wsrep_replicated_bytes" the number to look at?

Finding all documentation and understanding the details is a little bit
difficult and time-consuming, but I'm making my way...

btw: is maria-developers a better place to post this as I am not writing
on production software but alpha releases?

thanks
Jan