Re: Giuseppe Maxia: Forking MySQL/ for how long can forks keep up?

Mark,

On 26 Sep 2013, at 16:06, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why do you claim it wasn't GA ready? By MySQL standards I think it was very stable early on. You can decide whether I am more or less biased than other people making comments on this. Given that I have no experience with something like Oracle, I am not sure that early Oracle releases for a new major version are any better.

I am merely inferring from Justin's comments, which you can also read[1]. In fact, from your own team at Facebook:
- DROP/ALTER table was slow. Fast implementation in 5.5 didn't make it to 5.6, fixed
- GTID implementation in production is hard to do in 5.6 (I understand facebook-5.6 has some solution around this possibly)
- http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=70265
- http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=68220 (maybe not a bug, but a behavioural oddity)
- https://www.facebook.com/notes/mysql-at-facebook/eq_range_index_dive_limit-system-variable-in-mysql-56/10151533648715933 (maybe even you wrote this? One can't tell from the FB note)

There's a longer list in Yoshinori's excellent talk on MySQL 5.6 at Facebook. I hope those slides make it online somewhere/sometime

And given that I also have no experience with something like Oracle, I have no idea if their new releases are any better either or take a similar amount of time to stabalize

I see you have commented on the blog post, I look forward to the discussion there as well.

cheers,
-colin

[1] - What maybe is not clear overall are the reasons as to why some features in MariaDB are being re-written. I see some good documentation in an example like https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-452 but this is not always the case as to why there is reasoning for a decision (some are probably in commit logs, some are probably discussed on IRC, etc.)

--
Colin Charles, Chief Evangelist
MariaDB | t: +6-012-204-3201 | Skype: colincharles