 Oggetto: Re: [Maria-discuss] Enabling feedback pluging for MariaDB 10.1.4
 A: maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Data: Lunedì 9 marzo 2015, 22:12

     As long as its limited to beta and alpha releases i dont
 think its
     that bad to enable it by default as users using these
 versions
     should already be aware of their not production-ready
 state.

     As it seems to be simple to enable/disable the plugin
 with the
     "feedback" variable, it shouldnt be a problem
 to deactivate it if
     the server is upgraded to a GA release.

     I cant say about the real interest of the harvested
 informations but
     it could be of interest to see if a significant number
 of users are
     trying to install these versions on exotic
 architectures/OSes or
     with a very high cpu count for example.

     Collecting the libc version (when applicable) could also
 be
     interresting i think.

     Le 09/03/2015 21:47,
 Adam Scott a
       écrit :

       Maybe make it an
 option when installing?

         On Mon, Mar 9,
 2015 at 1:05 PM, Justin
           Swanhart <greenlion@xxxxxxxxx>
           wrote:

             Hi,

               I agree with Kristian.  Given the way it
 works, the
                 statistics are really meaningless and I feel
 you
                 shouldn't drive important choices based
 on bad
                 statistics.  I personally would suggest
 displaying a
                 link to a feedback/survey form with web
 downloads and
                 display a message after rpm/deb installation
 that says
                 something like "please visit http://blah/blah/blah/survey
                 to tell us more about the features you use
 and help
                 direct the future development of
 MariaDB".  This has an
                 added bonus: not all users know about all
 features, and
                 a list/survey of the important and
 interesting ones
                 could get more users to use them.