Re: How many open files by daemon is still sane?

Hi Justin,

this Percona article mentions table cache that was split into table definition
cache and table open cache. IIRC this was implemented in 5.1 and that's something
MariaDB has.

Partitioned table cache is different story, it appeared in MySQL 5.6 and is
supposed to solve another problem. As Sergei mentioned MariaDB solved this
problem differently.

Still there is no linear search in table cache. But there is linear search
inside MyISAM open tables list, which may cause performance degradation you're
referring to. Btw this MyISAM issue can be fixed more or less easily now.

But all this is releveant only if table cache can't fit all requests. Table
cache eviction and table reopen are expensive. Thus my suggestion was to try
to avoid eviction as much as possible.

Regards,
Sergey