user map auth plugin

So, I recently wrote an auth plugin with the intent of implementing a simple user map, authenticated against the hashed password that would be retrieved via the normal password entry scheme.

I got far too far along before realizing that this scheme basically requires that either the client use a plugin to communicate with the server auth plugin, or I use the old MySQL auth plugin.

...or is there some way to re-initialize secure MySQL auth from the server auth plugin??

It would really shoot my intents in the gut if every client that wants to log in with user mapping needs to be 5.5+ and to have a plugin...:-(

-FG

Sent from my android device.

Follow ups