Re: Password Complexity Plugin

Hi, Adam!

On Apr 27, Adam Scott wrote:
> It's taken some time, but I have backported the simple_password_check
> plugin and the password api to MariaDB 5.5  The mysql-test is
> succeeding on all but the test of the strict_password_validation
> variable.
>
> My question is, should a pure backport include support for
> strict_password_validation variable (
> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/server-system-variables/#strict_password_validation)
> ?  I suspect yes, but wanted to ask to start a further discussion:  namely
> if I submit this patch will it be included in future MariaDB 5.5 releases?

I believe it's unlikely. If we wanted this feature in 5.5, it would've
been implemented in 5.5 in the first place.

But 5.5 is already GA, it was GA for quite a while. We don't add new
feature to GA versions, that's why password validation was added to
10.1.

I think that if you'll keep your own version of 5.5 + password
validation and use that in your environment - it should not require much
efforts to maintain. 5.5 code base is very stable at the moment, changes
are few and sql_acl.cc almost doesn't change at all. And then you can
skip 10.0 and upgrade directly to 10.1 one day :)

Regards,
Sergei