Re: Ubuntu 16.04, Accidentally installed mariadb-server on top of mysql-server

Thanks for the help.  I was able to resolve this later in the evening.  I did this while visiting a hotel in France.  At midnight, their wireless acted up and I was no longer able to access any web pages, but my SSH connection remained intact and was able to access the web using links.  (As for the wireless being annoyingly wacky, let me mention that I had to base64 encode a gzip'd SQL file and cut-paste to my term window to copy and save my file into an instance of vi. It actually worked).

I solved this problem by backing up the data directories mentioned earlier and then removing mariadb and reinstalling mysql.  There was an issue with restarting the server because of the additional configuration files that were created.  Thank God (and the developers) that the SQL tables were moved to a backup location instead of being destroyed...

I had to comment out the line that read:

myisam-recover  = BACKUP

in the file

/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf

and then was able to bring the SQL server back up.

Coincidentally, I had planned to reinstall anyway as I'm migrating to new hardware today.  The replacement machine will run MariaDB. and that would be a first step towards peace on earth :)

Thanks for the help!