Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Am 13.10.22 um 13:55 schrieb Jogchum Reitsma:
Op 13-10-2022 om 12:59 schreef Reindl Harald:

All files and dir's under /home/jogchum/mysql_recover have mysql:mysql as owner:group

and your userhome is 755
which is the default, when opensuse creates a new user. So, if I understand you right,  that's wrong in your opinion?

plain wrong but i don#t even know the default of my Fedora machines given that the last time i saw an os-installer was in 2011 thanks to RAID and backups

as well as systemd namespaces and SELinux allowing nosense like storing the databasedir in a userhome?

Why is that nonsense? After all, it's not a company database we're talking about, just

and how does that justify doing something different than anybody else out there?

- some addresses of friends and family, mainly used for sending Christmas cards,
- some metadata about video's I recorded,
- some data about the yield of our solar panels.

Nothing secret in that.

i wonder if the friends see that this relaxed too, in europe there is more undestanding of privacy and data security as in the USA...

just don't do that - and be it only because it's dumb set your userhome to chmod 755 which means any 644 file can be read by anyone

As said, I did not chmod it to 755, it's the opensuse default (and maybe other distro's too, dunno). And anyone in my family is allowed to read anything on our systems.

More important, you don't say anything about how I could start the database?

dunno but this part of the logs is looking bad - on a updated machine that mustnt't have started at all and indicates for me the damage was that large that your installation looked like a fresh one

okt 02 21:26:55 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45372]: Creating MySQL privilege database... okt 02 21:27:17 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45384]: Two all-privilege accounts were created. okt 02 21:27:17 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45384]: One is root@localhost, it has no password, but you need to okt 02 21:27:17 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45384]: be system 'root' user to connect. Use, for example, sudo mysql okt 02 21:27:17 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45384]: The second is mysql@localhost, it has no password either, but okt 02 21:27:17 linux-mkay mysql-systemd-helper[45384]: you need to be the system 'mysql' user to connect.