Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Op 13-10-2022 om 12:59 schreef Reindl Harald:

All files and dir's under /home/jogchum/mysql_recover have mysql:mysql as owner:group

and your userhome is 755
which is the default, when opensuse creates a new user. So, if I understand you right,  that's wrong in your opinion?
as well as systemd namespaces and SELinux allowing nosense like storing the databasedir in a userhome?

Why is that nonsense? After all, it's not a company database we're talking about, just

- some addresses of friends and family, mainly used for sending Christmas cards,
- some metadata about video's I recorded,
- some data about the yield of our solar panels.

Nothing secret in that.

just don't do that - and be it only because it's dumb set your userhome to chmod 755 which means any 644 file can be read by anyone

As said, I did not chmod it to 755, it's the opensuse default (and maybe other distro's too, dunno). And anyone in my family is allowed to read anything on our systems.

More important, you don't say anything about how I could start the database?

regards, Jogchum