Re: Maria-db refuses to start

Op 13-10-2022 om 15:10 schreef Reindl Harald:

Am 13.10.22 um 14:54 schrieb Jogchum Reitsma:
frankly why don#t you move the datadir out of your suerhome and change the path to the datadir in the config?
25 years ago I decided that the data is only useful to me, so why place it anywhere else than in my home directory? After all, that's where all my personal files reside, so why treat this data otherwise?

but database files are not normal user files and can't be backuped while the service is running in a safe way like your personal document files

so it makes little sense to handle different beasts identical
OK, I get that. A philosophical issue in my feeling: what is more important, who's the owner of the (content of the) files, vs. what nature are they?

There I have plenty of room in a raid6 configuration, where the default location is much smaller, and populated by the infamous (well, with me at least) btrfs filesystem.

you can put the data in /home/mysql, make a bind-mount from /var/lib/mysql to /home/mysql and change the config to use /var/lib/mysql

OK, so, to be quite sure, the command then is

mount --bind <the-location-the-database-resides-now> /var/lib/mysql

voila, ProtectHome no longer hits because from the viewpoint of systemd and mariadb the datadir isn't below /home

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/198590/what-is-a-bind-mount