Re: [Ayatana] Integrating Application Search & Install

On 28 April 2010 10:50, Tyler Brainerd wrote:
> If the goal of all this is to directly connect the user quickly with
> their files and programs, then adding programs that are not currently
> installed will only add clutter and messiness,

The application menu has also the goal to let the user discover the
applications available in the system.

I like the idea of showing installable applications in the search
results, but Tyler is right that it can hurt the primary goal of
opening common programs if done badly. I think showing a separate
panel for the software center results would be enough to distinguish
both use cases and reduce the possible confusion.