Re: [Ayatana] "Unsaved state" and the Cloud

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/05/10 20:41, Diego Moya wrote:
> So my four dimensions for cloud storage are these:
> - Location: Connected vs Disconnected.
> - Speed: Fast vs Slow medium.
> - Persistence: Saved vs Unsaved.
> - Sharing: Published vs Private.

I think this is good analysis and an interesting idea.

+1 to the meme of autosaving, autoversioning, and persistent undo (undo
that survives quit).
+1 to the idea of automatic replication.

I'm pretty certain this should not be per-file, though. The idea should
be to convey the state of the device in general, and perhaps of an
individual application. This is the 21st century moral equivalent of the
"dirty" bit, the indication that a file needed saving.
I'm not crazy about autoversioning, because it becomes awfully difficult to find what you need if you have a revision for every line that you ever changed. I'd rather see a model where every file is saved automatically and "Hard Saves" provide a way for the user to commit a revision.