Re: [Ayatana] Killing Menu Bars

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 21:48 -0700, Tyler Brainerd wrote:
> Ah. Well, you're making me work for things, thats for sure. Ha.

It's what I do ;)

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Luke Morton
> <luke.morton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 20:38 -0700, Tyler Brainerd wrote:
>         > Actually, I added a (extremely rough) mock up of what gcalc
>         might look

>         > like. Basically, the most commonly used options ought to be
>         > (categorically) available the easiest.
>

>         I agree, although determining what's most commonly used is
>         easier said
>         than done--it depends heavily on the user's habits and their
>         particular
>         needs.
>

> Agreed. Thats why I started with the calculator here, and with the
> already partially simplified Nautilus-Elementary.
>
>         > In a tool like a calculator that doesn't have a lot going on
>         as far as
>         > options its pretty easy to put these on a row of mode or
>         view buttons.
>         > everything else can be found in the 'gearbox' options menu.
>         Roughly
>
>         > like so:Calculator_027.jpg
>
>         How would I access that with my keyboard?
>
>         > This translates very well in simple apps, and with more
>         work, could
>         > work well for more complex apps as well.
>         > With the keyboard shortcuts, particularly the insert
>         command,
>         > ironically enough I'm using chromium, which does not allow
>         for that
>         > command.
>

>         The point of accessing the Insert menu (in Evolution) was to
>         illustrate
>         the discoverability of a feature without having to know its
>         accelerator
>         key ahead of time.
>
>         > Presumably we could still allow similar behavior for common
>         key
>         > presses of that sort,
>

>         I would expect items in the toolbar to have
>         accelerators--especially in
>         the absence of a menu. But how would I know what they were?
>         And even if
>         they were standardised (say the cog icon is in your example is
>         accessible via Alt+S), how would I know what they were?
>

> Pressing alt brings up hovering indicators perhaps? I don't disagree
> that these things ought to be discoverable, but honestly keyboard
> accessibility is nowhere near my strong suit, as I rarely use only the
> keyboard so I really don't know how to make it work and what doesn't.

I think IE7 had something like that ... No wait, it was a hidden menu
bar that became visible when holding Alt.

I think IE now has a similar toolbutton/menu thing to Chromium, except
it uses labels instead of icons, thereby allowing for discoverability
and avoiding the issue of poor icon metaphors.