Re: [Ayatana] Getting rid of Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 17:43 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

> I'm all for replacing evolution data store and the evolution UI, but I
> fear what will happen is that we will be told to use the internet
> (because everything is online right) and we won't be able to have our
> data on our machines any more.

I think the answer to online vs local should be: both. You shouldn't
have to mess around with stuff in the browser on your own machine, but
you should be able to access your email and data everywhere.

> Then there is the problem that no one's figured out how to do
> incremental backups of monolithic databases so my current email database
> eats through my hard drive space every time I perform a backup.

The filesystem and related infrastructure should be enabled to handle
email directly. One email, one file. I think BeOS did that.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/