Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On 21 May 2010 11:44, Alex Launi wrote:
> This looks awesome! But why do we need the dismiss all button? Shouldn't
> just clicking into white sufficient? Having a button like that will give a
> lot of users the impression that that's the only way to deselect files, when
> really it's a kind of inefficient way.

That action is against the expected behavior of check boxes, which
always remain selected after the user has clicked them. Removing a
bunch of selected checks with one missclick is something that just
don't happen on lists that have ckeck boxes.

BTW this is why I first suggested using a "pin" icon instead of a
checkbox for the selected files. The pin doesn't have that strong
expectation to always remain selected unless the user deselects it.
Pinned items can get unpinned all the time, so it would be more
consistent with the default behavior of file selection.