Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders on Tablets

I agree that tablets should be treated as a special case and we should not dictate how the normal desktop should work. I see the following possibilities on tablets:
1. If it supports multitouch you could click and hold on the first item then select the rest by clicking on them while holding the first (or any other selected item)
2. have a button (windicator?) where you could select what mode you are in, click to open, click to select.

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 08:04 +0300, Alex Lourie wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello SABDFL ;)

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:28, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We already have mechanisms for multiple selection, with dragging to
> lasso a set of icons, ctrl-click to select an arbitrary set, and
> shift-click to continue a selection along a list.

Of course we have keyboard shortcuts for all sorts of operations, but
can we also pull off  these operations when we're in a tablet or
touchpad mode?

Maybe think of another metaphor? I don't believe that tablet usability issues should dictate
what happens on the desktop where we do have a keyboard and a mouse. If you all you want is
recreate a desktop on the tablet device, look what happened to all Windows-based devices. That's why
today's tablets are not copying desktop per se, they use different use model.

That said, I'd like to have another reasons for doing this, as the "hard to do on a tablet" doesn't quite convinces me.

> I don't see a need for the checkboxes at all.

This i can understand, since checkboxes are tiny and perhaps easy to
miss, using a touchpad.. I'd suggest make their <area> a reasonably
fault tolerant.

And once again, you argue with the tablet. Let's step a bit back to the desktop for a moment. Do you sincerely believe
that checkboxes are more convenient and easy than the "double-click" paradigm? I suspect that hitting the checkbox would
be no easier than double-click to open.

In fact, I believe that most of the new age tablets in existence today don't have a file/file manager metaphor at all (and some do only as the
*additional* application).

--
Alex Lourie