Re: [Ayatana] Yet another discussion on window resizing - where does the problem lie?

I often find myself resizing windows not for their content but in
order to cover an underlying window that has a colorful distracting
graphic.

I find the Attention-helper in Compiz a valuable tool for window
managing. I've set the ADD-helper to desaturate and reduce bright to
background windows, and it helps - I can now leave the selected window
alone, and don't need to resize that often.

On 2 July 2010 11:10, Philipp Wendler wrote:
> So I would like to see ways to make window placement easier. Do you know
> anything that I could try?

I like how Windows 7 allows placing a vertical rectangle size for
reading documents by dragging the window to a border, although it
doesn't always find the best fit.

This could be generalized for arbitrary shapes. I would like something
like the "drag-to-zoom" in interactive maps and other zooming
applications, but for windows resizing.

Say I'm reading a webpage and I want the window to show exactly the
article text, but not the navigation and advertisement bars. The
perfect layout could be set pressing a key (Super?) to enter drag
mode, and draw a rectangle around the shown text - maybe overstepping
the current window border. The window would resize to include the
exact size of the rectangle.