Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm

Yes,

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 21:42, cmaglothin <cmaglothin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well if we are going to get into tagging photos, why not just do what Apple did with iPhoto. Implement a facial recognition software
that prompts you to tag a face once, then it will tag all photos containing that face with the appropriate words.

tagging the right content with the right metainformation type is what i am also thinking..
Tracking is implemented Open Source already with OpenCV, that's nothing new.
Face recognition, too, ironically i found a package, among dozens, called MPT¹, which can do it, also OpenSource iirc ;)

Facial recognition otoh goes a little too far in my eyes, i think it is enough to identify human beings or faces in a picture, adding artificial intelligence that would rid us of all privacy we have left is a step that would require testing and a lot of security thinking first, imo.

Using a face recognition library, it should be easy to add a "People in this Photo" field to the metadata block associated with every photo in e.g. shotwell. All Shotwell would need to do is to #include the library, so that a find_people_in_picture() would output clickable see-through rectangles over the face-areas in the picture, similar to the ones we can position manually in facebook, myspace etc.

this is all feasible stuff, and it is always good to think out of the box for a while, but keep in mind that artificial intelligence is not safe if used irresponsibly.

¹ http://sourceforge.net/projects/mptbox/