Re: [Ayatana] Unity Mockup v3

> I don't really care where they go, as long as they're separated and
> the lenses are in a fixed position.

How about this: the lenses are moved to the bottom so they are above
Trash) and all three do not collapse, so they're always there? (Or the
user, can remove them (without taking the guts of the dash with them))

>         3) The menu in the window title bar.  While it solves the
>         space issue
>         and the moving-up-to-the-top problem (the latter isn't much of
>         a problem
>         for me, but then I've got a tiny 1440x900 monitor) it
>         restricts window
>         size.  What if the user wants a window smaller than the length
>         of the
>         menu?
>

> This problem is already solved by other programs, like OO.o and Chrome
> and FF and...

The advantage they have is that the menus start on the left edge of the
window; in your mockup, space is taken up by the program title and the
window controls.

>         What about themes where the window title is centered?
>

> Well I guess we don't use those.  We lose some form to gain some
> function; it is certainly better than the current trend (of
> sacrificing functionality to make things look nice, which happens with
> aggravating frequency in Unity, and unbelievable regularity in Gnome
> 3).
>

>         Here's an idea: a single click on the window name (or F10)
>         opens the
>         global menu on the panel, with the mouse already there at the
>         first
>         entry.
>

> Since my messages haven't been getting through, you may not have seen
> this, but *in my opinion* (I highlight this because it is a strong
> opinion, but opinion nonetheless):
>

> No.
>

> No, no, no.  Under no circumstances should UI elements as important as
> pull-down menus *ever* be hidden, ever.

So, are you against it or not?  Stop pulling your punches and tell
us! ;)

I agree.  My suggestion was more to resolve the complaints or a LOT of
people that they hate having to move to the top of the screen (I don't
see why, since it's just a single upward movement).  Your point is very
valid; a hidden menu only makes sense when the application is maximised
(so you can actually find out what the window contains).  I +1 the idea
of a visible global menu for unmaximised apps.