Re: [Ayatana] Unity Mockup v3

> Although, truth be told, the more I think about it, the more I like
> the "Opera Idea" (title of app is an obvious button that exposes the
> pull-down menus vertically).  While it does have two drawbacks I *do
> not* like -
>
> 1) The pull-down menus are semi-hidden by default (the button is visible)
> 2) It takes two clicks to get to "File" where it used to take one

With the theme I've got now - Orta - there's a little button for the
window menu.  A lot of metacity themes have them.  Considering that the
window menu comes up when you right-click the window bar anyway, this
would be perfect for your idea: how about, on the top corner opposite
the window controls, the 22*22 icon for the application, which, on mouse
hover opens the app menu? (This sidesteps the "two clicks" problem).  I
would say that, when maximised, the menu is horizontal as it is now
(that may change now people are adding more indicators though).

I'm not going to quote the rest of what you say - I have to consider
Launchpad's server space;) - but I agree with a lot of it: I think, if
Canonical are going to introduce a innovative UI, the least they could
do is give us a tutorial - the help documentation helps a lot I'll
admit, but perhaps walk us through it a bit on first startup.  The
problem with scrolling down the bar is difficult to solve - perhaps make
the mouse "stickier" there, so it needs a determined movement by the
user to free it?  Or have a timeout, where the user's place down the bar
is kept for a second or so after the mouse moves away?