mugle-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Please stop committing

Attention *all developers:*

(Note, if you check your bzr log and find that you have not yet updated to
r44, then you do not need to pay attention to this; you can just "bzr up" as
normal.)

OK I have pushed the fixed version of the branch to Launchpad. This is not
something one normally should do as it tends to break things. You'll
probably have trouble running "bzr up" now, so here is what you need to do.

1. Make *absolutely sure* you have no uncommitted changes. "bzr st" should
be empty. (Prageeth, you should *close* Eclipse and *back up* your working
directory in case something goes wrong, then run "bzr revert --no-backup" to
clean out your uncommitted changes -- the ones you have there are outdated.)
2. Run "bzr pull --overwrite". This is a killer command which says "just
ignore whatever I have locally, and overwrite it with the fixed stuff Matt
put on the server."

You should now be able to continue working as normal. "bzr log" should show
commits 44 through to 50 as having the Author either Prageeth or Scott, and
the Committer as myself -- then you know you have the correct version. (Note
that this was done using bzr commit --author, which is what you should
always do if you are committing someone elses code, so they still get credit
for it.)

Prageeth, I have committed *some* but not all of the changes you sent me
privately. I will send you the remaining uncommitted changes separately.

Please note for future, the root cause of this is failing to use "bzr mv" to
move files. Eclipse may move files for you, but Bazaar won't realise this.
Note that Bazaar does *not* automatically do the wrong thing -- *you* did
the wrong thing when you "bzr added" the files you had moved. If you ever
find yourself "bzr adding" a file which you or Eclipse has moved, then it is
the wrong thing.

If you are about to move a file, the easiest thing to do is run "bzr mv"
instead of ordinary "mv".

If you have already moved the file (or Eclipse did it for you), then just
run "bzr mv --after <old-filename> <new-filename>" which will tell Bzr about
the move. Then bzr st should show the file move, rather than a delete and an
add.

I will send a follow-up email later regarding more general revision control
practices, because there is quite a lot of bad practice going on here.

Matt