mugle-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Proper revision control practices

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Scott Ritchie <s.ritchie73@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi Matt, while I agree that this is a good idea, I've personally had no
> problems with compiling.
> An error is thrown at compile time - but ant happily continues since
> GameFile currently isn't used anywhere yet - but it will become an issue
> once the whole basic UI is finished.

Ah yes. I have noticed that gwtc continues the build even after a compiler
error is thrown. That's still a compiler error and it means you should not
commit it to trunk. Even if the errors let us finish building the software,
they still indicate it is broken where it wasn't broken before. You should
not commit code with warnings either, because if we make it acceptable to
have code throw up warnings, then we will be unable to notice new warnings
that appear -- this is similar to that.

As I said in my last email, "Any commits made to trunk should compile *and
work the same or better than the previous commit*" -- it isn't sufficient to
compile successfully, it also has to not make anything worse than it was
previously.